Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Bokke carry the hopes of the Southern Hemisphere ...


The Springboks did what was expected - crushed the spirits of a spirited Argentinian side in the 2nd Semi Final. Well done Argentina - it'd be great to see you in a Four Nations competition very soon!

I was at my Pilates class last night and one of my pals laughingly suggested inciting the fans at the Final into some biffo. He also wants to see an all-in brawl on the pitch! With the bitey Boks and the fat English forwards it could be on :-D

I want the Boks to win (go Southern Hemisphere), however I suspect the English will do it off the back of JW kicking penalties - the Boks are not the most disciplined of teams and their forwards are notorious for their biffo. The South Africans need to be tight and well drilled, and not get carried away into putting the boot in. I predict a couple of send-offs!

On another note, the young English fans on sites such as Facebook have become ugly in their online behaviour. It makes me laugh that public schoolboys from Harrow and Rugby Schools etc are so proficient in profanity. I'm sure their parents are paying for a different type of education ;-D I taught in a boys' school many years ago and I know what teenage boys can be like; however, some of these boys on Facebook are just plain toffy-nosed gits.

By all means be proud of your team's accomplishments, and engage in cheerful, teasing banter to irritate your South African pals at work etc, but be a supporter not a foul-mouthed, dim-witted hooligan.

That's what soccer (sorry, football) is for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops, didn't realise that 'chic girls' weren't allowed to support England, suppose I won't bother reading your blog anymore

Chic Rugby said...

Anonymous, you can support whomever you like! What concerns me is the offensive behaviour of fans, of whatever hue. Some of the vitriol online is extraordinary, and is very un-rugby and un-chic.

Chic girls support their teams with class and dignity, not boofheadedness.

That sort of behaviour is for soccer hooligans. :-D

Unknown said...

well said chic rugby.

anonymous was obviously anonymous for a reason. stupid claim he/she said.

i really enjoyed your blog throught the RWC.

Didnt c u (not that i kno what u look like) at cargo bar the other weekend. i was there with my friends for a game

Chic Rugby said...

Thanks Chris - I knew I had nice readers :-)

I've been watching the games from the comfort of mine or pals' homes ... except for the France-NZL match when I watched it in my pyjamas.

I did down a few cocktails at The Loft Bar the night of the Australia-England match - only upstairs and down the wharf a bit from Cargo Bar!

Thank goodness the next World Cup will be back down in the Southern Hemisphere - so much easier for televised match watching.